An epitome of patience and sensibility, Golden Labrador is a beautiful cross breed of Golden Retriever and Labrador Retriever, America’s 2 most famous popular breeds.
It is coming out as a police dog with great search and rescue instincts. On the other hand, they are also known to be good therapy and companion dogs and are a good choice for families with growing kids.
IN Mumbai’s 1993 blast, a golden retriever named ‘Zanjeer; worked alongside the bomb squad and saved thousands of lives by detecting explosives, detonators and hand grenades.
|Height||24-28 inches(60.96 – 71.12 Centimeters)|
|Weight||55- 80 pounds(24.94 – 36.2874 Kilograms )|
|Coat||Dense, long and water resistant|
|Tendency to drool||moderate|
|Temperament||Cheerful, loyal, social|
|Country of Origin||Newfoundland|
|Life span||10-15 years|
|Colors||Black, brown, white, golden, yellow, cream|
Golden Retriever were bred and originated in Scottish Highlands in the latter half of 1800s. Lord Tweedmouth is known to have bred and created this breed by using many different breeds of dogs like bbloodhound, Irish Setterm and Tweed Water Spaniel.
The dog was created with the main aim of making it a companion dog as well as a hunting dog. It went to develop itself and is now used in major rescue missions. With such good traits from both of its parent breeds, the dogs of this breed have gained immense popularity not just in USA but across the world.
Temperament And Behaviour
Goofy, happy and good natured, Golden Labs are people loving creatures. Loving, easy to care for and a friend till eternity, Golden Labs are amazing dogs. They are sensitive towards harsh notes and always respond positively to praises, rewards and incentives.
These dogs require family and its attention. You cannot leave them alone in a long stretch of yard or else they can get devastative because of boredom. They also make up for good work dogs and once trained, they can carry out tasks efficiently. They respond well to guidance by the owner and always love playing games with their family.
Health And Care
- Golden Labrador is an energetic breed and require intense exercise to efficiently channelize their energy in the right direction. You can take out for swimming regularly and go for brisk walks and jogs daily at least for half an hour.
- These dogs love games especially in open air or a stretch of yard. At any place where they can roam around freely, they will be the most physically and mentally sound. It will also help in developing the bond and companionship between the dog and its family.
- Golden Labradors can encounter a few disorders namely diabetes, Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA), Patellar Luxation and sometimes weight gain as well if not fed and exercised properly.
- Golden Labradors shed excessively all year round. They might require brushing about twice a day to remove their dead hair tangles.
- They also develop dirt and debris in their ear easily and should be checked for very frequently. Cleaning their ears with a soft cloth once in awhile is enough.
- Their teeth should be brushed about thrice a week and toenails can be trimmed as and when required.
- Golden Labradors are rather easy to train not just because they are intelligent but also because they are sensitive and display a people pleasing attitude.
- By using sober and incentive based method, they should be taught tricks and be made to play agility games to harness their energy in their own well being.
- Right since adoption, they should be made to adequately socialise so that when they grow up, they can be free of anxiousness and can practice obedience for the family including children.
- You should be the leader, take initiative and let the dog follow you. This is a great way to bond with the dog and enhance the companionship.
Frequent Asked Questions – FAQs
Q1. What is Golden Labrador breed price in India?
A Golden Labrador dog in India can cost you anywhere between Rs. 10000 to Rs. 80000.
Q2. What is Golden Labrador breed price in USA, UK, and Canada?
While a Golden Labrador puppy can cost anywhere between $800 and $1200(USD, $) in the USA, it can cost 650 pounds to 900 pounds(GBP, £) upwards in UK and around $700(CAD, Can$) can upwards in Canada.
Q3. What is the life expectancy of a Golden Labrador?
A Golden Labrador can live on an average somewhere between 10 to 15 years, and sometimes even more.
Q4. What is the average size of an adult Golden Labrador?
While a male Golden Labrador can grow up to 28 inches tall, a female Golden Labrador can grow up to a height of 25 inches.
Q5. Are Golden Labrador a friendly breed?
A Golden Labrador is usually friendly with all kinds of people they meet. They are fun loving, caring, obedient and energetic
Q6. Do Golden Labradors need exercise?
Yes, Golden Labradors are active dogs that require some sort of exercise daily. Usually, it is recommended to take them jogging, brisk walking, swimming daily. Playing outdoor games with them is also a good choice.
Q7. What is the average weight of a Golden Labrador?
A Golden Labrador is a medium sized breed dog and can weigh anywhere between 55 pounds to 80 pounds easily.
Q8. What should I feed my Golden Labrador?
Golden Labrador dogs need nutrition-rich food that provides it with the required amount of energy. Pedigree food can be a good choice.