Chippiparai are great guard dogs for protecting homes because of their sharp and brave endeavour. These dogs are famously called ‘One man dog’ because they form great companions and dedicate their life to being with the owner for the rest of their lives.
They originated in Southern India, specifically Tamil Nadu and have been compared with Greyhounds owing to their equally agile and lean body.
However, these dogs are very close to extinction and unless we want to see them in just history books, it is very important for careful and dedicated breeders to maintain and then improve their population count.
|Height||31-38 inches ( 78.74 – 96.52 Cm )|
|Weight||15-20kgs ( 33.06 to 44.09 Kgs)|
|Coat||Short and smooth|
|Tendency to drool||Low|
|Temperament||Loyal, protective, intelligent, devoted|
|Life span||13-14 years|
|Colours||Fawn, white, grey rbindle, red|
|Country of Origin||India|
|Smell Sniffing||Very good|
Chippiparai dogs were originally preferred and excessively bred by the royal families in Madurai, Tamil Nadu. They were a symbol of dignity and courage amongst rulers of Tirunelveli and Madurai. Due to their courage, they were seen as fierce hunters and were bred for the exact same reason i.e. to catch and kill preys like wild boar, deer, hare and so on.
However across centuries, their population went on decreasing and they are now categorised as extinct with a handful of them left.
Temperament And Behaviour
Chippiparai dogs are known for their quality devotion and loyalty towards their family. They might come out as reserved in the beginning but when they are adequately trained and socialised, they tend to be more active with humans. They are known as ‘one man dog’ because they tend to imprint to one person, get overly protective about that ‘one person’ and later on cone out as stubborn or rude to others. They spend their whole life serving to that ‘one person’.
These dogs have are instinctively attracted towards catching and killing preys and hence aren’t good towards smaller animals, to an extent that they may kill other pets of the family, if any. Given that, they can be trained easily when they are regularly socialised with other people.
Health And Care
- Chippiparais, in general, are relatively healthy dogs who are not prone to obesity and require very occasional veterinarian visits.
- However, they might be genetically prone to getting the condition of ‘Hip Dysplasia’ where the thigh bones do not properly fit in the hip joint. In such situations, they display extreme pain and exhaustion.
- Another common condition seen in them is ‘Patellar Luxation’ where the dog’s kneecap gets dislocated and their ball and socket joint moves in both directions.
- Both of the condition can be treated with regular medication, if mild, but might require surgery if the situation gets extreme.
- Owing to their short but smooth coats, Chippiparais do not demand much grooming.
- They have dense and flowing hair. They just require brushing maximum twice a week.
- They love to get massages for which hound mitt or soft brushes can be used.
- Due to their immense intelligence and desire to please, it is easier to train Chippiparai dogs as compared to other hound dogs.
- They need regular exercise and attention to prevent them from getting de track and to protect them from channelizing their energy towards inappropriate things.
- They can also become nervous and hence it is better to train them from a trainer who is ferm yet gentle, and not harsh.
- To keep their nervousness and suspicion in check, they should be socialised from an early age. Familiarising them with different faces, environments, scents and sounds is also of utmost importance.
Frequent Asked Questions – FAQs
Q1. What is Chippiparai breed price in India?
A Chippiparai dog in India can cost you anywhere between Rs. 5000 to Rs. 8000. (INR, ₹)
Q2. What is Chippiparai breed price in USA, UK, and Canada?
While a Chippiparai puppy can cost anywhere between $500 and $650 (USD, $) in the USA, it can cost 400 pounds (GBP, £) upwards in UK and around $500 (CAD, Can$)or upwards in Canada.
Q3. What is the life expectancy of a Chippiparai?
A Chippiparai can live on an average somewhere between 13 to 14 years, and sometimes even more.
Q4. What is the average size of an adult Chippiparai?
While a male Chippiparai can grow up to 38 inches tall, a female Chippiparai can grow up to a height of 31 inches.
Q5. Are Chippiparai a friendly breed?
Chhippiparai dogs are friendly towards very specific people and become over protective towards them. For other smaller animals or pets in the house, they can develop a prey instinct and can also kill them.
Q6. Do Chippiparais need exercise?
Yes, Chippiparais are active dogs that require some sort of exercise daily to channelize their inner agility and energy in the right direction.
Q7. What is the average weight of a Chippiparai?
A Chippiparai is a medium sized breed dog and can weigh anywhere between 15- 20 kgs (33.06 – 44.09 lbs)
Q8. What should I feed my Chippiparai?
Chippiparai dogs need nutrition-rich food that provides it with the required amount of energy. Pedigree food can be a good choice.