The American Pit Bull Terrier (pronounced: US uh-mer-i-kuh n pit boo ter-ee-er) is a family and companion dog bred to bait bull.
As time passed, it became a farm dog and eventually became a house pet. It looks scary because of its size, but its calm and gentle personality make it a perfect family pet, especially with children. that is why it is tagged as a “nanny dog.”
|Other names||Pit Bull Terrier|
|Origin||United States of America|
|Height||14 to 24 inches (1.1 – 2 Feet)|
|Weight||22 to 78 pounds (9.9 Kgs – 35.3Kgs)|
|Life expectancy||12 to 15 years|
|Coat||Glossy and smooth|
|Colors||White, Black, Tan, Brown, Grey, Brindle, Red, Blue|
|Temperament||Friendly, affectionate, loyal, gentle, courageous, stubborn|
|Exercise||Regular, Daily Long Walk|
|Litter Size||4 – 10 Puppies|
|Tendency to snore||Low|
|Tendency to drool||Low|
|Tendency to bark||Low|
|Country Originated||United Kingdom|
History of American Pitbull Dog Breed
- American Pitbull is a result of breeding bull and terrier breeds in the early 19th century in England. It was originally bred for bull and bear baiting sports.
- However, the sports were deemed illegal and inhumane in 1835 as it could lead to dog aggression. Hence, there is a misconception about American Pitbull – a breed associated with aggression.
- It developed a reputation as a protective and strong dog but is gentle and friendly, especially to its humans.
- When it reached the United States, it became a farm dog, primarily used to guard the farm from intruders and hunt wild animals.
- In 1898, the name American Pit Bull Terrier was recognized by the UKC. It was eventually named American Staffordshire Terrier in the 1930s.
Temperament and Behavior
- American Pitbulls are huge dogs, but they don’t realize it. They love people and want to sit on their lap, but their huge size makes it hard for a human to carry them.
- Aside from being gentle with humans, they have mischievous personalities.
- They are keenly aware of their surroundings, making them a perfect watchdog. However, they are not aggressive with strangers. They bark to show their eagerness to greet strangers.
- They are loyal and devoted that when their humans are in trouble, they will do their best to defend their humans even if it means putting their life on the line.
Health and Care
Proper care should be given to your dogs to keep them in top shape. They should not be left outside for a long period of time as they are sensitive to cold.
Give them proper care and nutrition to prevent the possibility of developing health conditions. If they receive proper care, they develop a strong attachment to their families. They will feel sad and stressed when left alone for a long period of time.
Common Health Problems
- Hip dysplasia
- Allergies (skin and food allergies)
- Heart-related diseases
American Pitbull is easy to groom as it has a short and stiff coat. It requires once a week brushing using a soft bristle brush to evenly distribute the skin’s natural oil.
Bathing can be done once a week or every two weeks. The nails should be trimmed regularly as their long nails can be extremely painful to humans and could cause pain and discomfort in dogs when walking or running.
It is a must to have early training and socialization, not only for American Pitbull but also for all dog breeds.
Training a Pitbull is easy as it is intelligent and eager to learn new tricks in an attempt to please its owner. However, it is prone to chewing and digging and being aggressive when not trained properly.
Q. What is American pit-bull terrier breed price in India?
A. An American Pitbull terrier can cost you around Rs.30000- Rs.80000 in India
Q. What is American pit-bull terrier breed price in USA, UK, and Canada?
A. An American Pitbull terrier will cost around $1000-$1500 (USD, $) in the USA, about CAN $2000 (CAD, Can$) in Canada and around 1000-1200 pounds (GBP, £) in the UK.
Q. Are American Pitbull terriers’ good family dogs?
A. With the right training, American Pitbull terriers can be great family companion dogs as they are loyal, easy to train and good-natured
Q. What is the average life of an American Pitbull terrier?
A. The average lifespan of an American Pitbull terrier is around 10-14 years, however, with the right care, these dogs have known to live up to 18 years.
Q. Are American Pitbull terriers aggressive?
A. American Pitbull terriers are naturally aggressive breed, however, with the right training, they can be the most loyal well-behaved dogs.
Q. Do American Pitbull terriers shed a lot?
A. Expect average amount of shedding from American Pitbull terriers which can be managed easily with occasional brushing.
Q. What is the average height of American Pitbull terriers?
A. Male American Pitbull terriers can grow up to a height of 21 inches (1.75 Feet), whereas female American Pitbull terriers have an average height of 17 to 20 inches (1.41 – 1.66 Feet).
Q. Do American Pitbull terriers need regular exercise?
A. Yes, American Pitbull terriers are active dogs that love exercising with their owners. If not exercised or walked properly, they can develop health problems in the long run.